Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Early August update on progress

I haven't had a post recently but that doesn't mean progress has stopped. The mole(s) are still present but the activity has dropped considerably. I've continued to pursue it (or them) relentlessly and will not rest until I've achieved victory. In the meantime, as there is little mole activity in the immediate train area, I'm moving forward.

I realize I won't be able to complete everything this summer as much as I want to. So I've decided that in some places I will be installing temporary track support that will be replaced over time. My short-term goal is to get all the track in place and be able to run trains.

For example, I haven't built piers for my bridge and I'm still using a pile of bricks instead. The approach on each side of the bridge is nothing more than two-foot long 2x4. I will eventually replace these approaches with drop-girder bridges which I'm planning to build myself out of styrene. Once those are ready, I'll then create custom piers, likely out of poured concrete. I'll probably need to build some cribbing as well.


I have rerouted the track through the tunnel


Here's another picture of the same area from a different angle, showing the grade separation between the two tracks and the temporary support structure I have in place for the upper track that will eventually be replaced. The bricks are temporary as well.


The track is in place on the loop around the tree.


This through-girder bridge just arrived yesterday from SplitJaw Products. I'll eventually need to build a support pier on the east end; on the west end I plan on building a support anchored on the concrete blocks. I don't have track over the bridge yet but I will after it arrives later this week. I will also get this bridge painted before then, and will paint my other bridges in a similar style so they match.


I also built a little shack with a front porch and an out building for 1:29 Daric. These structures are actually about 1:24 scale, so they should feel quite roomy. These were built using lumber and plans from Smith Pond Junction Railroad Products.


Alki taking a timeout and enjoying the the sun on the moss carpet. Good thing there aren't any trains running as his paws are blocking the tracks!
















No comments:

Post a Comment