Pages

Monday, August 22, 2016

East loop complete

Yesterday I finished the east loop, which means all the track is now connected in a single path and I can run trains again continuously. I had an idea of how this loop would look but was not sure exactly where it would be, so there was some experimentation as I moved the track around to see what would look best and fit best in the constraints of the space.

I started by placing wooden stakes as a temporary support just to hold the track up. This allowed me to check and adjust the alignment and slope until it looked right.


Once I was satisfied with the line placement, I put in a number of two-legged supports using half-inch PVC and 90° angle joints. These are sturdy enough to support trains for now but this is just a temporary solution. My plan is to replace this with a wooden trestle and some type of bridge that will cross over the ravine. In the middle of the photo below, there is half-inch board under the track approximately where the bridge will go.


Here's another perspective of the completed east loop. In the foreground where the bricks are I will build up an embankment and the trestle work will probably start about where the last bricks are on the right.


In other work, the painted Warren truss bridge is back in place, looking great.


And I've ballasted the track in the plate girder bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment