Pages

Monday, June 6, 2016

Track removal and roadbed preparation

I did a lot of work in preparation for my new track arriving today. First, I ripped up the temporary track work. Some of this track will be reused immediately, some will be used in the future during track expansions, and the rest will be stored until needed or possibly resold.


It was a bit dirty and in need of cleaning before being stored away. Fortunately I have an automatic track cleaner which can hold about three dozen pieces of sectional track per load. Look how shiny that brass is now!


With track out of the way, I surveyed again and adjusted stakes as needed.


And as I had done last time, I put down a layer of quarter-minus gravel and pounded it into place with my 8" tamper. I then wet it down and tamped some more. Next I went around the roadbed with a level to look for uneven spots or slope changes, raising or lowering the trouble spots as needed. Then more water and more tamping.


At this point the roadbed was ready to lay down my new track. I also adjusted some of the bricks to even out the walking path. I still haven't put sand down to lock them into place as I'm waiting for settling to occur, which I'd rather fix now than later.


It was also at this point in the afternoon that I checked my email and realized the track would not be coming today! I had misread and confused email from two different companies, so the track that I thought was arriving today was not shipped until today. And what was arriving today instead was my 30 degree crossing, which I had ordered from a different company. I still need it and I'm glad it's here but it won't do me much good until the rest of the track arrives.



So, sadly, no running trains this week. My UPS train is sidelined until UPS delivers my track.

No comments:

Post a Comment