Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Trestle Part 6: Second section complete

The larger, upper section of the trestle was completed last weekend and this weekend I finished up the lower section. I also applied sealant to the upper section today but will need to wait until the glue completely sets on the lower section before sealing it. And that should be tomorrow, given the hot, dry weather we're expecting the next few days.

I was very excited to learn this week that my new bridge is now on its way, so by the time it arrives I should have the trestle complete. Next weekend's blog post should show trains running again!

A view of the completed upper section.

A close up view showing how the track is resting on the three stringers. After I'm done with staining, I'll secure the track in place by attaching some of the ties to the middle stringer.

The lower trestle site, with track elevated in place to serve as a guide. As before, the first step is to arrange and sink bricks into the ground to serve as bent foundations. This section will only have six bents.

Here are the bents in place with bricks serving as temporary braces, and I've just glued down the stringer sections on top.

And here is the finished lower trestle. I removed the bridge and disassembled the track in preparation for staining.

The dahlias are all in full bloom now. This one is my current favorite.

And this is another favorite right now.


The dahlia's blooms stand over all the others at seven feet high. I had to hold the camera over my head to get this picture.

I don't recall seeing this before so this must be one of the new tubers I put in this year. It starts off bright lemon yellow and then fades to peach. I'm not a big fan of laciniated petals but I'll keep it as I like the color combo.




No comments:

Post a Comment