Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

PE&A updates for June

There has been no construction on the railroad to report on since Dogwood Yard was completed, so I thought I’d provide a few miscellaneous updates and pictures.

Lego train in the garden! The locomotive is pulling an unfinished airplane fuselage on its way to the Renton plant.

The summer issue of Garden Railways Magazine included an article on running Lego trains on garden railroad tracks. Until I saw that article the idea had never occurred to me, even though adjusting a Lego train to run on 45 mm track is very straightforward. I immediately pulled out a locomotive and had it adjusted in about five minutes. Modifying a piece of rolling stock took a little bit longer as the typical trucks for Lego freight cars cannot be adjusted, so I had to scratch build a couple new trucks that would work.

In all, it took less than half an hour before I had a short train outside running on the track. Next, I want to custom build a new locomotive and freight cars that are a more appropriate size and scale for the 45 mm track. And I no longer have to worry about the super tight curves of Lego track. Another project!

Meanwhile, I’ve been looking through books for inspiration and ideas of what to do next. Spurred on by a challenge from the Reading Glasses Podcast, one of my favorite podcasts, I finally, finally got a library card from my local branch and have been using it liberally to borrow, among other things, books on miniature plants and scenery design. #ReadingGlassesPodcast

My new Seattle Public Library card!

A few books that may be familiar to garden railway fans.

Finally, here’s a picture of the latest unusual rail car to pass by my window at work, a yard slug. You can think of this as half a locomotive as it has traction motors, but doesn’t have a prime mover (e.g., diesel engine), generator or operator’s cab. It can only be used when attached to a locomotive that is supplying it with electric power. The purpose of a slug is to provide extra traction at low speeds, which is useful in yards when moving heavy sets of cars.

GMTX 950. I couldn't find any pictures of this slug online, so I'm guessing it's probably newly manufactured or converted.

I’ve never seen a slug in use at this yard, so BNSF may be experimenting with this one, or perhaps this is just temporarily in the yard on its way to a delivery somewhere else. If it's gone by tomorrow, I'll know that's the case.

Finally, I learned today that Negroni Week is coming up at the end of the month! Who knew? I thought I’d get an early jump on it as it’s over 90° in Seattle this afternoon, too hot to do anything outside, but perfect weather for enjoying a cold, wet drink in the shade.

Negroni in the garden on a 92° afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment