Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Battery car complete

This weekend I finished assembling the battery car and thought I would post a few pictures. I used pieces of 3/8" right-angle styrene cut to the length and width of the battery to create a cradle. This will prevent the battery from moving around while the train is in motion, and the cradle isn't very high so I can easily get the battery in and out of position through the boxcar door.

At first I thought I would use a PVC cement to attach the styrene to the car floor, but given how rough the floor surface is, I thought that Scotch double-sided mounting tape would probably work better. The cradle is centered so the weight is evenly split between the two trucks.

I will be retrofitting a second battery car but haven't decided which car I will use. In the meantime, an AirWire G3 decoder just arrived in the mail today so my next project will be converting my BN locomotive, an AristoCraft U25B, to remote control. This will be a bit more challenging that the NW2 conversion.

Work in progress, cutting right-angle styrene pieces to fit the dimensions of the battery.

Styrene pieces are secured in place and the battery fits snugly.

View showing the completed project without the battery in place.


And another picture showing the car with a battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment