Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Progress update on moving rocks

Work continues on moving rock and fill dirt to build up the railroad site. The giant pile of dirt in the driveway is gradually reducing in size as I'm moving it one wheelbarrow load at a time.

Following the back yard progress pictures are a few flower pictures from nature walks over Memorial Day weekend. So many things are in bloom right now.


My trusty wheelbarrow and I somehow ended up putting in over 17,000 steps today. I suppose from the wheelbarrow's perspective that would be about 17,000 wheel rotations.


Today I focused on building up the retaining wall for the raised middle section and backfilling it with dirt.


I left an alcove where the irrigation pipe is in case I ever need to dig down to the junction with the main pipe.


Another view of the raised area. The PE&A mainline will pass by here on the lower level while a branch line will access the upper area.


And here is a photo at the end of the day capturing progress. I still have a little work to do on the wall and many more wheelbarrows of dirt to move.

 
As I was working through my rock piles today I sorted out any flat rocks for use in the prairie nature trail. I'll set these rocks in the ground once I have enough for the trail.


Lady's slipper orchid


Showy phlox. I should have some of this blooming in my garden by next year.


Sticky geranium. This is a favorite of mine and I have added three to my garden so far, and hopefully they may bloom by next year.


Sugar bowls. I'm trying to start these from seed.


Trillium


Western iris


I have some native plants in progress. These seedlings I started from seeds I gathered at various locations last year. And I'm waiting to see if I have more seeds germinate now that the weather is warming up.





No comments:

Post a Comment