Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Clean up and needed road repairs

Here we are in the second week of May already and this is my first post of the year. I still haven't been able to run trains on the PE&A this year due to damage over the winter. Earlier this spring I did some initial cleanup but it took until this week to finally get to work with putting in new ballast where it had washed out. I also cleaned up plantings and spread bark in open areas. The entire railroad is now ready to run trains except for one 10-foot tangent along the fence where the erosion has been extensive and I need to find a solution to hold the soil in place. I'm going to work on building a new retaining wall between the railroad and the fence, something I should have done earlier..

Getting ready for a new season of running trains. Better late than never.

This area along the garage usually sees some erosion and it isn't too bad this year. I'm going to build a small retaining wall as I think it will look good here and help stop the erosion.

A close up of the false lily of the valley (DescriptionMaianthemum dilatatum) in bloom right now 

This is the section that needs work although it is hard to see the slope in this picture. Additionally, the bricks I set in place on the uphill side have shifted over time due to tree root growth. I'll need to reset them.

This is a reverse view of the same stretch of track. You can see there is nothing holding up the track on the downhill side.

I spent the day cleaning up the stream bed, trimming back plants and putting down new balast.

The whipcord western redceder is doing fantastic. I'll need to move it as it's getting so big. I should never have planted it so close to the track. 

Alki checking out today's work.

A surprise popped up this spring—a Pacific trillium. I have no idea how this got here but I'm happy it's found a perfect home.

The bearded iris started opening this week.

The native iris are in full bloom right now as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment