Pages

Monday, April 3, 2017

First day of operations in 2017

On Sunday I finished the clean-up work around the track so I could get trains running again. The main task was adding ballast where it had settled or eroded away, working it in place and watering it down, followed by some track cleaning. I went through almost two bags of quarter-minus, more than I was expecting based on my earlier estimate.

After about two hours of work I had a train up and running. First I tested my new Alco FA-1 to make sure it was performing well. Then I put together a UP train for some pictures. I continued to let the train run while I moved on to other yard work nearby. That was a mistake as I ended up with my first derailment of the year!

A UP special crosses over the tunnel.

Track is ready for service after getting a new layer of ballast. The daffodils along the track are nearly in bloom and the irises are coming up fast.
The strawberry field is bright green and even sports a few early blooms as the UP special zooms by.

The spurge is in full bloom. It looks great nestled among the rocks over the tunnel.

A purple helleborus along the garage wall.

Peony shoots in front of a bed of muscari.

Oh no! The first day of operations also saw my first derailment, sending two cars into the dry river bed. The locomotive lost its train then rear-ended it on the next loop around. Fortunately no one was injured, but the engineer has been written up!



No comments:

Post a Comment