It's been a busy summer and I'm just now getting back to finishing up the trestle for my upper loop. Summer may be over but I still have time to get this done before it gets cold.
.JPEG) |
| I'm building a trestle from the end of this bridge around the tree to a raised platform in the background. Once that is done my upper loop will be complete and usable. My first step was to put up some temporary supports so I could define and align the curve exactly where I wanted it, both horizontally and vertically. |
.JPEG) |
| I used a level on a flatcar to ensure that I was keeping the track as level as possible, and used shims and various pieces of wood to align the track vertically. |
.JPEG) |
| Next step was defining where each trestle bent would be located. I need a double-bent at each end, plus 19 additional single bents, for a total of 23. In the center of the photo is a problem area where large tree roots make a very uneven surface. |
.JPEG) |
| Another view of the future bent placements. At the top of the photo where the track transitions onto the raised platform, I also needed to adjust some of the rocks and add some fill dirt. |
.JPEG) |
| The next step was digging out loose soil and replacing it with 3/4 minus crushed rock to create a foundation for each bent. I also built a small retaining wall with some bricks and backfilled it with rock to cover up the exposed tree roots. |
.JPEG) |
| I counted and realized I didn't have enough prepared bents, so I built so more using my jig. These dried over night and the the next day I trimmed the tops off. |
.JPEG) |
| Each bent is finalized for its location by measuring down from the track ties. One at a time, I trimmed each bent to length and added a mud sill at the bottom. |
.JPEG) |
| My outdoor workbench where I finish each of the trestle bents. |
.JPEG) |
| Each bent is placed where it will be going in the trestle so I don't get them out of order. This is as far as I made it with construction yesterday. |
.JPEG) |
| I noticed yesterday that the showy milkweed (Asclepias speciosa) pods had finally opened. I collected some seeds for propagation and the others I'll leave for the wind to distribute, or for the quail to eat. |
.JPEG) |
| Nice example of graffiti on a hopper I saw recently while on a bike ride. |
.JPEG) |
| A slightly hazy morning in Spokane, fortunately due to water vapor this morning and not smoke. |
No comments:
Post a Comment